Monday, August 20, 2012

Hip hop sleeve of the week: Abdominal


Firstly, I’m not going to pretend this is someone else writing about me in the third person. This is Andy/Abs… hi there.

So, I like rapping & I’m pretty good at it. But I’m also old (by rap standards at least). And as a result, I was getting a little tired of having to jump up and down on stages every night, screaming, just so that my raps could be heard over the super-loud beats playing in the background. So I decided to make some changes. My first move was to assemble a band (“The Obliques”). Well, they’re not really a band…more like two guys playing percussion and a guitar…but I like saying I have a band.

That took care of the music-being-too-loud problem. “But what about the jumping around bit?”, you ask? Good question…we sit down the whole show, like the verging on middle-age men we are. Basically, it’s awesome and I haven’t been this excited about making and performing music in years! I should add here, we have a new record coming out next month, called “Sitting Music” (for obvious reasons).

And that’s about all I have to tell you at the moment. That said, because this is a bio, I guess I’m supposed to wow you with a list of my past accomplishments. I’m gonna try to do that in max. two sentences, because frankly it’s boring as shit for all concerned, in my opinion (rather just let the music speak for itself as much as possible).

Anyway, I can sum it up by saying I’ve been lucky enough to have done some pretty cool stuff thanks to music over the past few years…played Glastonbury twice, toured all over the UK and Europe with Jurassic 5, opened for Roy Ayers, won the SOCAN Echo prize for best Canadian song in 2007, hosted the annual SOCAN awards show in 2008 and 2011, toured all over the world with the UK’s DJ Format, filmed three videos in LA, did songs with some of my idols (Chali 2na, Cut Chemist, Gift of Gab, my mom, etc.), kept the bills paid for close to a decade strictly doing what I love, etc.

Thanks for reading and hope you like the music,

Andy/Abs.


No comments:

Post a Comment