Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Clean in NYC, 1989


"I've had this roll of 8mm film rolling around our house for a long time that was labeled "Germany". Pat O'Neil, who has been archiving all things CLEAN towards making The Clean Film, got it scanned. I was gleefully surprised to find it's NYC 1989 and the first Clean trip to the USA. The Vehicle LP was recorded in London at the end of this tour.

Starring amongst the footage is musician Chris Knox, photographer Monica Dee, record man Gerard Cosloy, film maker Phil Morrison, rock n roll band Das Damen and various rock n roll clubs of ye olde NYC. The Cult were shooting a video next door to CBGBs...you can see the trucks lined up. That must've been the night we played with Happy Flowers. I can remember on getting into a car outside the club later that night and a junkie grabbed me and begged me- "shoot me, shoot me"....Chris made Ian Astbury's security very nervous later that night after a barrage of sarcastic hero worship/abuse."   – David Kilgour
 

No comments:

Post a Comment